I Use Bing to Search, Google to Search Hard

16 rules to live by

14. March 2008 23:39 by sam in   //  Tags: , , ,   //   Comments (22)

Ladies and Gents,

I found an article today that like most, I cannot take credit for writing.  But like always, the things I tell you on this blog will not be things that I have come up with, but which the human population of the world has come up with.  We all want to live and we are always looking for motivational things in our life.  We want things that inspire us and make us feel better or work harder as a person.  I know everyone believes this and wants this.  That why I bring you these self motivating rules from a source that isn't utilized or looked at often by people or at least I think so.  The article comes from GoDaddy.com and it was written by the owner Bob Parsons.  Bob, is a unique individual with years of experience and talent.  He currently owns a major corporation from the ground up. I do not know him personally, but he looks like a man every man would in some way like to aspire to.  He came out with these rules for his daily life.  After looking over them, I have implemented them in my daily life and strived to achieve what only some people dream of.  I hope you will look at them the same way.

1. Get and stay out of your comfort zone.
I believe that not much happens of any significance when we're in our comfort zone. I hear people say, "But I'm concerned about security." My response to that is simple: "Security is for cadavers."

2. Never give up.
Almost nothing works the first time it's attempted. Just because what you're doing does not seem to be working, doesn't mean it won't work. It just means that it might not work the way you're doing it. If it was easy, everyone would be doing it, and you wouldn't have an opportunity.

3. When you’re ready to quit, you’re closer than you think.
There's an old Chinese saying that I just love, and I believe it is so true. It goes like this: "The temptation to quit will be greatest just before you are about to succeed."

4. With regard to whatever worries you, not only accept the worst thing that could happen, but make it a point to quantify what the worst thing could be.
Very seldom will the worst consequence be anywhere near as bad as a cloud of "undefined consequences." My father would tell me early on, when I was struggling and losing my shirt trying to get Parsons Technology going, "Well, Robert, if it doesn't work, they can't eat you."

5. Focus on what you want to have happen.
Remember that old saying, "As you think, so shall you be."

6. Take things a day at a time.
No matter how difficult your situation is, you can get through it if you don't look too far into the future, and focus on the present moment. You can get through anything one day at a time.

7. Always be moving forward.
Never stop investing. Never stop improving. Never stop doing something new. The moment you stop improving your organization, it starts to die. Make it your goal to be better each and every day, in some small way. Remember the Japanese concept of Kaizen. Small daily improvements eventually result in huge advantages.

8. Be quick to decide.
Remember what General George S. Patton said: "A good plan violently executed today is far and away better than a perfect plan tomorrow."

9. Measure everything of significance.
I swear this is true. Anything that is measured and watched, improves.

10. Anything that is not managed will deteriorate.
If you want to uncover problems you don't know about, take a few moments and look closely at the areas you haven't examined for a while. I guarantee you problems will be there.

11. Pay attention to your competitors, but pay more attention to what you’re doing.
When you look at your competitors, remember that everything looks perfect at a distance. Even the planet Earth, if you get far enough into space, looks like a peaceful place.

12. Never let anybody push you around.
In our society, with our laws and even playing field, you have just as much right to what you're doing as anyone else, provided that what you're doing is legal.  If the law is unfair to you and others, you should do everything in your power to see that doesn't happen anymore going along with not allowing anyone to push you around. Imagine if Rosa Parks would have obeyed the laws! [Thanks Katrina]

13. Never expect life to be fair.
Life isn't fair. You make your own breaks. You'll be doing good if the only meaning fair has to you, is something that you pay when you get on a bus (i.e., fare).

14. Solve your own problems.
You'll find that by coming up with your own solutions, you'll develop a competitive edge. Masura Ibuka, the co-founder of SONY, said it best: "You never succeed in technology, business, or anything by following the others." There's also an old Asian saying that I remind myself of frequently. It goes like this: "A wise man keeps his own counsel."

15. Don’t take yourself too seriously.
Lighten up. Often, at least half of what we accomplish is due to luck. None of us are in control as much as we like to think we are.

16. There’s always a reason to smile.
Find it. After all, you're really lucky just to be alive. Life is short. More and more, I agree with my little brother. He always reminds me: “We’re not here for a long time, we’re here for a good time!”

Looking over these rules, they are more for the entrepreneur than anyone else but due to their over all value, they are very good rules. I would like to hear of any other rules people live by, please speak up.

Sam Stone

Comments (22) -

john
john
3/15/2008 3:26:21 PM #

thanks for posting. i liked those and will take a look at what else this guy has to say.

Cliff
Cliff
3/16/2008 9:58:08 AM #

Wow, this post just changed my life. Here I was stumbling the web with my handgun sitting next to me, ready to blow my brains out. And then there was this...amazing.

sam
sam
3/16/2008 12:41:49 PM #

Cliff,
You serious about that?  I would have never guessed it can have that much affect.

Mike
Mike
3/17/2008 12:17:00 AM #

This has got to be one of the most brilliant short self help things I have ever seen

Monica Willyard
Monica Willyard
3/21/2008 8:45:06 PM #

Thanks for posting this. I really need it. I've been stuck in a rut, afraid to push forward and unwilling  to just give up and quit. If I were to add to this list, I would add 2 rules.

17. Listen to genuine criticism, but put chronic complainers on the outside of your project. People who do nothing but complain or see problems will cloud your vision and sap your strength.

18. Stop watching the news on television. Most news programs focus on what's wrong with the world, the recessions, failed relationships, and crime. They could almost convince you that the world is about to fall apart and that trying to do anything good is a waste of time. Spend the time you usually spend watching the news connecting with your kids, having coffee with a friend, or taking a walk. It'll do wonders for your outlook. Smile I kicked the news habit about 4 years ago, and I haven't regreted it.

Jonatan
Jonatan
3/25/2008 7:57:59 AM #

thanks

Jonatan
Jonatan
3/25/2008 7:58:22 AM #

Neil
Neil
4/1/2008 5:22:57 AM #

Here's another version!

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with a broken fan belt and leaky tire.

It's always darkest before dawn. So if you're going to steal your neighbor's newspaper, that's the time to do it.

Don't be irreplaceable. If you can't be replaced, you can't be promoted.

Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else.

Never test the depth of the water with both feet.

If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.

Some days you're the bug; some days you're the windshield.

Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.

The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works.

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much when your lips are moving.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Never miss a good chance to shut up.

Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night

sam
sam
4/1/2008 9:07:54 AM #

Thank you for adding a Comment.  I liked your addition to the rules.

Neil
Neil
4/4/2008 2:22:10 AM #

@Monica - Seriously? Stopped watching the news? Why not cut out the crap Dr.Phil's and Oprah's instead. The news is what connects you to the wider world, bad or good, and what expands your mind beyond the boundaries of your own little personal space... It really doesnt hurt to know a little more of the boundaries past America... though, I do agree, watching Fox is a complete waste of time....

John
John
4/4/2008 11:39:23 PM #

Some aphorisms:
- The Golden Rule:  Them's that's got the gold make the rules.

Twain: 'Always do right.  This will gratify some people...
And AMAZE the rest.'

In Judea Christian heritage, there's a saying: 'The squeaky wheel gets the grease'

In Asia, there's a saying: 'The Nail that sticks out gets pounded flat'

Moral:  My point is be a wheel.

katrina
katrina
4/8/2008 11:17:49 AM #

good list, but i'd have to amend number twelve.  if the law is unfair to you and others, you should do everything in your power to see that doesn't happen anymore.  imagine if rosa parks would have obeyed the laws!  you need to fight for what you believe in, even if it conflicts with what the authorities tell you to believe in.

sam
sam
4/8/2008 1:42:26 PM #

@Katrina,

I am going to agree with you on that.  Lets make an update to the Laws.  Thanks Katrina.

the king
the king
4/10/2008 7:36:45 PM #

Check this out!!!!!!

vijay
vijay
4/14/2008 1:42:41 PM #

This is an awesome post, will try to follow in my life

Rob Ellinger
Rob Ellinger
11/8/2008 6:52:54 AM #

I have two quotes of Cowboy Logic

You can pretend to care, you can't pretend to be there.

If you are riding ahead of the herd, look back once in awhile to make sure that it is still there.

meeee
meeee
2/19/2009 2:56:48 PM #

That was really great

Fitness
Fitness
5/15/2009 7:34:40 AM #

I keep fit with milk everyday.

Wellness
Wellness
5/15/2009 7:34:59 AM #

I stay healthy with milk.

I have a name, but you don't need to know it.
I have a name, but you don't need to know it.
5/31/2009 12:52:23 PM #

Never give out unneeded information, but listen to it.
Never write on the back of a page you already have written on unless it's your last.
Yes, talk quietly and carry a stick, but never mumble or swing the stick.
Sometimes it hurts more not to hurt.
YOU NEED TO READ FRUITS BASKET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [:3]

I have a name, but you don't need to know it.
I have a name, but you don't need to know it.
5/31/2009 12:56:01 PM #

I'm back!! Here's an awesome website with more rules!
jprall.vox.com/.../...ations-rules-to-live-by.html

kredyty pozabankowe
kredyty pozabankowe
5/28/2013 11:21:03 PM #

I read this post fully on the topic of the difference of most recent and preceding technologies, it's remarkable article.

Have a look at my website  kredyty pozabankowe - http://szybkiechwilowkionlineprzezinternet.pl

Pingbacks and trackbacks (1)+