I Use Bing to Search, Google to Search Hard

Developer Income Report #3

The Intro:

Its been a better month than usual for a few reasons.  While its nothing to write home about, my income over time has been getting better. I think these reports tend to help as well because they do bring in a few more hits on my site.

Ive made a few changes to my applications this month, but no real development on my past apps except for fixing bugs on UtopiaPimp and PostSecretCollection. I had a bad bug on UtopiaPimp this month which halted other development efforts and actually halted most users on UtopiaPimp. It was fixed over a few late nights and my conclusion to it was here.

Show Me The Money:

This month in advertising picked up a lot.  There is one main reason for this.  I made the move from showing just Project Wonderful Ads to showing both Project Wonderful and Google Ads.  This has made a significant uptick in money.

Project Wonderful brought in +$85.52 from all my websites listed here. Down from the $118.00 it brought in last month.

Google Ads brought in +$61.46 from UtopiaPimp.

My Android Application for Roller Derby brought in just +$3.96 from MobFox, which is my Android advertising company.  I received another 100 downloads for the free application this month.  YAY!

I was surprised, but this month was also extremely good for PostSecretCollection, which brought in +$31.52 from selling the postcards to visitors of the site. While I made a commitment to never make a profit from this site, its good to see the postcards are selling.  I sell each postcard for a $1.97.  The bulk of the costs don’t even touch me.  Paypal takes .40 cents and Postal Methods takes $1.46 on each postcard to print and send it.  That leaves me with just a .11 cent profit on each card sold.  This was the most popular card sold this month.  I actually have this one sitting in my cube at work.  It bring inspiration at times when I need it.

This month, I paid out -$85.00 for server costs through UltimaHosts.net.  While their support is lacking at times, they are by far the cheapest hosting company I could find without going through Amazon Web Services.  I also upgraded my server to the new Hyper-V server they offer.  Nothing like Dedicated Ram!  I use this server to host all 11 of my websites.

So in all, I made +$182.46 from my sites.  Up from +$118.00 from last month.

Subtracting the costs to print, buy, mail and host these projects, I brought in a profit of +$67.70 this month!  Thats up from just +$39.09 last month.

Whats Next?

I have a project I am working on with a friend of mine.  We are both working on it pretty hard.  I am working on a desktop part right now, while he is working on the web based interface for it.  We hope it will actually change the way people document and watch a specific thing.  We have some extremely exciting news, but can’t really talk about it for now.  We want to release the “prototype of it first and get people to start using it before we go with big hype.  We personally think it has the ability to make big money.  On top of that, I will keep working on bugs for UtopiaPimp especially, since that is what pays the vast majority of the server costs.

Multi-Threading with C# and a Website

23. November 2011 00:40 by Scott in Development, C#  //  Tags: , , ,   //   Comments (6)

Let me tell you my experience.

I have a website at http://www.utopiapimp.com that gets hit well over 1 Million times a day.  Thats 11 hits every Second.  Utopiapimp works on being a Live Stock Ticker for a online game called Utopia.  My users need live feeds 24/7 of whats happening in the game and thats what my application does for it.  Live feeds 24/7 for all users.  Its extremely dynamic as well.  Always changing, always updating.

My server that hosts my website is a VPS located with the company Ultima Hosts.  I have a middle tiered plan that costs a bit to host.  The advertising on Pimp pays for the hosting fees, but it doesn’t cover any more than that.  I have 4 GBs of Ram and 1 CPU.  I store so much in the caching system, that I take and use up at times almost all 4 GBs of Ram.  The problem mainly is the CPU.  At times the CPU hits 80% used and other times it coasts around 15% used.  So I was hoping to bring in some multi threading into Pimp to make the inserts into the DB much faster and a much faster response time for the users.

I started with just one thread, the new type of tasking in C# introduced in .Net 4.0.

Task.Factory.StartNew(() => DoSomeWork());

The Problem with this I think, is I only have one CPU.  When I implemented this method, I sadly and immediately saw a block.  The application started to hang.  I spent the next few weeks to try and stop the hang.  Yes, sadly, I introduced a bug so bad, I immediately started getting user connections loss.  I introduced a ton of code when I introduced this bug, so I was completely lost on the topic.  I thought well, it had to be something else.  Not until I wrapped the task around my error handling code to insert errors into the DB, did I realize what was going on. So I tried threading instead.

System.Threading.Thread newThread = new System.Threading.Thread(anObject.AMethod);
newThread.Start();

This didn’t work either.  I then realized, well maybe threads just don’t work on .Net Web apps.  I then thought, well maybe its just my 1 CPU.  Well, I haven’t yet upgraded to the second CPU, to test this out.

But believe me, when I get the chance, I will.

Scott